The state of California and local municipalities place numerous taxes on legal marijuana.
Here is a breakdown of current cannabis taxes:
Recreational Marijuana (adult-use) customers:
- State Excise Tax for cannabis: 15%
- State/local sales tax: 7.75% (in Riverside County)
- Local cannabis sales tax: 0% in Riverside County
Medical Marijuana Patients:
Patients with a medical marijuana ID card (MMIC) or doctor’s recommendation save on some of the taxes above. This is a little confusing. Here are the details:
- All patients pay state excise tax (15%).
- Patients with a MMIC do not pay state sales tax (7.75%)
- Patients with a doctor’s recommendation (but no MMIC) pay state sales tax (7.75%).